Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy
What is platelet-rich plasma therapy?
Platelet rich plasma (PRP) is a treatment used to promote healing of injured joints, muscles, ligaments and tendons. It is mostly used in athletes and active individuals who wish to return to their sport or activity quickly. It is considered in healthy individuals who have failed to respond to first line conservative treatments of rest, medication and physical therapy.
Schedule An Appointment
What conditions might benefit from platelet-rich plasma therapy?
Some of the conditions that may benefit from PRP injections include:
- Chronic tendon injuries such as chronic Achilles tendonitis, tennis elbow and inflammation of the patellar tendon
- Ligament and muscle injuries such as pulled hamstring muscles and knee sprains
- Moderate osteoarthritis of the shoulder, hip or knee
How is platelet rich plasma obtained?
Platelet-rich plasma is produced by:
- Drawing blood from the patient’s own body
- Separating the liquid portion of the blood (plasma) from the solid portion (red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets, etc.)
- Addition of the concentrated platelets to the plasma
How is the PRP injection administered?
The PRP injection can be performed as an outpatient procedure. A local anesthetic is applied at the site and the PRP is injected into the damaged tissue. Occasionally, your doctor may use ultrasound guidance to administer the injection accurately. The number of injections based on the severity of your condition and response to therapy.
What can you expect during the recovery period after PRP injections?
The injection of PRP is an outpatient procedure, so you will be able to leave home immediately after. Following the treatment, you may experience irritation and mild pain for a few days. You will be prescribed pain medication to keep you comfortable during the healing process. As PRP therapy uses the patient’s own blood, the treatment is associated with minimal risk factors or contraindications.
Discover Your Ortho Options
What People Say
Always has a smile on his face, extensive knowledge in orthopedics and a conservative approach to treatment. Would highly recommend.
Dr. Gombera was very knowledgeable and explained everything so that I understood. I will see him in the future if needed. Great experience here.